Quick and Easy Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4(2 cup servings)
A pantry friendly Chinese hot and sour soup that is so quick and easy to make and so much better than take out that you’ll never order it out again!
Hot And Sour Soup
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce or sriracha
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2-inch piece ginger, grated ( about 2 teaspoon)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup firm tofu, pressed until drained and chopped into strips
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 (8 oz.) can bamboo shoots, drained and finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth or chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seed oil
- black or white pepper, to taste
- 4 green onions, finely chopped,
- Heat chicken broth over medium-high and add cooked chicken, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, tofu, garlic, ginger, vinegars, chili sauce, soy sauce and sugar to a boil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, reduce the heat and Let mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk cornstarch into 4 tablespoons cold water to create a slurry. Once mixture is smooth, gradually stir it into soup.
Cook for another 4-7 minutes, or until soup is thickened.
- Take your beaten eggs and slowly pour in the eggs in a thin stream while stirring the soup cook for 25 seconds
For garnish: In small bowl mix sesame oil, white pepper and green onions.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with sesame mix.
Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Closet Cooking