There’s just something about meat and cheese served between two slices of hot French bread. It’s…perfection. And since today is National Eat a Hoagie Day, you’re really going to want to dig into a good one!
Just five basic ingredients are needed: Pillsbury French Bread, roast beef, roasted red peppers, fresh basil, and provolone. You’ll also want to mix up a batch of garlic aioli (fancy schmants wording for flavored mayo spread) by mixing together a finely diced clove of garlic with mayo and a smidgen of Dijon mustard.
- Part of the fun of this recipe: It’s all baked together inside a glorious bread braid.
- To get this sammie rockin’ stat, open the bread and start slicing. A cut down the center, and one every 2″ from side to side will turn this hunk of dough into a ready-to-stuff palette of bready goodness. The real secret here is to slice all the way through the bread…but leave 1/2″ of dough intact at the bottom.
- Once sliced, stretch it out nice and wide to make room for your ingredients.
- Start by spreading a little aioli in the center.
- A lot of roasted red bell peppers and basil goes up on top. To keep the basil bright and beautiful, layer it underneath the roast beef. It will create a shield of sorts to prevent the basil from drying out and turning an unsavory-looking black color.
- Roast beef and provolone tops it all off, of course.
- Pulling the dough over the top
- Now, pull the dough over the top of the meat. Pinch the top of the bread dough closed to keep it secured while baking. If you have a tablespoon of shredded Parmesan, sprinkle it up top.
- Now pop it all in the oven and cook until golden brown.
- Hot Cheesy Roast Beef Sandwich, ready to eat
- Slice hot out of the oven, and bite into your slice the second it’s cool enough to eat. Happy Hoagie Day!
Hot Cheesy Roast Beef Sandwich
Prep Time 10 min
Total Time 25 min
- 1 package Pillsbury French Bread
- 1/2 pound sliced deli roast beef
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 pounds deli roast beef, sliced
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Open French bread tube. Remove from wrapper. Use a knife to slice down the center of the dough, leaving about 1/2 inch uncut at the bottom of the loaf. Make slits into the loaf from top to bottom, about every 2 inches, leaving about 1/2 inch of the dough intact at the bottom of the loaf.
- Peel the dough open, creating a flat space in the center. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Mix garlic, mayonnaise, and Dijon together. Spread over the middle of the dough.
- Top with roasted red bell peppers, basil, roast beef, and Provolone.
- Pull the flaps of the dough up over the filling. Pinch firmly at the top to secure the dough together over the filling ingredients.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until golden brown and bread is cooked through.