Meatballs are the ultimate in comfort food, right? Toss them in marinara sauce and top a pile of freshly cooked noodles with them, or stuff them into a roll to create a meatball sub sandwich with melted mozzarella. We opted for Meatball Subs this time. SO good.
The meatballs are quickly browned in a skillet before they’re added to marinara sauce to simmer and finish them off. You can use bottled marinara, or you can make your own marinara sauce.
Recipe credit: Eatliveblog
- 1 lb Ground beef, ground sirloin or ground pork (or a combination of the 2)
- 1 Large Garlic Clove (crushed)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Egg (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup Water (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup Fresh Reggiano or Pecorino Cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375
- Place meat in a tall mixing bowl and press into the bowl
- Put garlic on top of meat and lightly rub the garlic around the top of the meat
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper
- Crack your eggs on top of the mixture
- Remember- You have NOT stirred or mixed anything yet, you are layering
- Pour the water over the mixture
- Sprinkle the cheese over the water to make a top layer like a tablecloth
- Cover the cheese with the breadcrumbs
- Now you are ready to mix. Mix from the outside of the bowl to the middle and fold it in.
- After you go around the bowl twice, the mixture should be mixed. Do NOT over handle the meat.
- Roll into your preferred size meatball and place on a greased cookie sheet
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top of the meatballs begin to brown
- When baking is complete, place meatballs in a pot full of your favorite sauce and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite pasta