Your family’s new favorite, easy dessert! This 4-ingredient ice cream sandwich cake is a no-bake treat that’s ready with just 10 minutes of prep. Just layer ice cream sandwiches with Cool Whip and all of your favorite toppings — chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, sprinkles, M&M’s, and more — then re-freeze, slice, and serve. Bring on summer!
HOW TO MAKE ICE CREAM SANDWICH CAKE
If you’re not much of a baker, then this is the dessert for you! It’s perfect for those of us who always seem to need a crowd-pleasing potluck dish to serve to family and friends, but we don’t always have time to whip up a homemade cake from scratch. With layers of store-bought ice cream sandwiches and whipped topping, you can assemble this no-bake easy ice cream cake in about 10 minutes. Mix up the flavors or add different toppings — once you know how to make ice cream sandwich cake, the options are endless! Kids and adults love this simple dessert.
- Ice cream sandwiches: you will need approximately 24 ice cream sandwiches for this 8 x 13-inch cake. I use vanilla ice cream sandwiches, but you can pick your favorite flavor.
- Chocolate syrup and caramel syrup: add extra flavor to the ice cream cake, making it taste just like a sundae! I like Hershey’s brand chocolate syrup and Smucker’s caramel syrup, but other varieties of hot fudge sauce and caramel sauce will work.
- Frozen whipped topping: such as Cool Whip. Just make sure to thaw it in the refrigerator before trying to spread it on the cake. You can whip your own cream at home too
- Toppings of choice: I’ve shown Heath English Toffee Bits
- here, but you can add almost any toppings that you prefer. See the notes below for other suggestions.
HOW TO MAKE ICE CREAM SANDWICH CAKE
Regular blog readers know that I’m a big fan of quick-prep, family-friendly recipes, so it’s no surprise that Stephanie sent me this idea via email a couple of weeks ago. One look at her instructions and I knew that it would be a winner in our house! After one taste, I knew that I better share it with all of you, too!
- Arrange 16 ice cream sandwiches in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan. As you can see in the photo below, you’ll need to cut the last ice cream sandwich in half to fit in the pan. Trust me, it doesn’t need to be perfect (it will still taste amazing!).
- Allow the ice cream sandwiches soften a bit, then use the back of a spoon (or your fingers) to press them down a bit. You can skip this step if you are using a particularly deep mold.
- Top the first layer of ice cream sandwiches with a layer of hot fudge sauce, and Cool Whip, and sprinkle with toppings of your choice (here I used Heath English Toffee Bits).
- Repeat If you like you can repeat the layers one more time, using the remaining Cool Whip to “frost” the top of the cake.
- Freeze the homemade ice cream sandwich cake for at least 1-2 hours or overnight, until firm.
Wrapped tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, this easy ice cream cake will keep in the freezer for up to 1 week. This simple no-bake dessert is so easy that you truly cannot mess it up!
RECIPE VARIATIONS FOR ICE CREAM CAKE WITH ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
- Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich: Use Homemade ice cream sandwiches for a combination of chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ice cream in your cake. You can garnish the cake with sliced fresh strawberries just before serving and sprinkle with chocolate chips. A drizzle of strawberry syrup would also be a good swap for the caramel.
- Magic Shell: instead of the chocolate syrup, drizzle the top of the cake with Magic Shell topping.
- Birthday Cake Ice Cream Sandwich Cake: put a birthday spin on this fun dessert! You can purchase Blue Bunny Birthday Cake Ice Cream Sandwiches at many grocery stores and Super Target stores. Use rainbow sprinkles as a fun topping, too.
- Toppings: I used mini M&M’s (which are a favorite at my house), but Stephanie also suggested coarsely crushed Oreos, Heath toffee bits, chopped candy bars (such as Snickers or Milky Way), chocolate chips, crushed waffle cones, chopped peanuts (or other nuts like almonds or pecans), Reese’s pieces or Reese’s peanut butter cups.
- Sprinkles: Garnish with different colored sprinkles to match the upcoming holidays. For instance, one reader suggested using red, white and blue sprinkles for Memorial Day or July 4th, or you can pick rainbow sprinkles for a birthday party!
TIPS FOR THE BEST ICE CREAM SANDWICH CAKE RECIPE
- Use a very deep baking dish, if possible. I’ve shown a deep lasagna pan . If your dish is deep, you don’t need to press down on the first layer of ice cream sandwiches — just skip that step.
- Thaw the whipped topping in the refrigerator overnight before you plan to assemble the cake. Do not thaw the whipped topping on the counter at room temperature, or the texture will be runny.
- Allow the ice cream sandwiches to soften slightly so that you can gently press them down as you’re creating the layers. This will help them fit in the pan!
- Prepare the cake at least 1-2 hours in advance of when you plan to serve it. The cake needs adequate time to firm up in the freezer again before you slice into it.
MORE EASY DESSERT RECIPES TO TRY
- No Bake Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- Boozy Red Velvet Poke Cake
- Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Boston Cream Poke Cake
- Lemon Bundt Cake
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Old-Fashioned 7 Up Pound Cake
- Peach CobblerServings: 4 people
- Ice cream sandwiches the amount depends on the size of your dish. I used an 8 X 13 pan and needed 16 ice cream sandwiches.
- Hot fudge sauce
- Cool whip
- Crunchy topping: Heath English Toffee Bits
- Ice scream sandwich layer thumb Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Start with a layer of ice cream sandwiches.
- hot fudge layer thumb Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Spread on the hot fudge topping.
- Cool whip layer thumb Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Add a layer of cool whip.
- Toffee layer thumb Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
- Add a crunchy topping of your choice which could include toffee bits, oreo crumbles, chocolate chips, chopped nuts… you name it.
- Easy, Quick, and Yummy – my kind of dessert.