Iron Waffle Hot Dogs. We spent our last vacation in Waipahu, HI. My son and I met some delight in KC Waffle Dog. Their waffle dogs are made in a special waffle iron machine that cooks them in smooth rectangular shapes.
Since we don’t have one of those lovely, special machines, and are quite far away, we’ll just see what we can come up with.
First things first
Start with a really good quality hot dog. Try to stay away from ones with those pesky cancer promoting nitrates and nitrites.
Bought the organic hot dogs above at one of the nearby grocery stores that I regularly shop at.
Of course you could also use veggie dogs and make vegetarian waffle dogs. One word of caution though–if you’ve never had a veggie dog before, try one first to see if you like them. Some brands taste better than others, but if you’re expecting it to taste like meat–it won’t.
For convenience I have divided the hot dogs in half, the idea is that they are thinner and also cook well .
I’ve taken the liberty of adding a slice of cheese (look for a good brand with real milk ) my family love cheese everywhere.
Iron Waffle Hot Dogs
- 2 hot dogs
- 8 Slices white, whole grain bread
- 8 Slices cheese
- Waffles mix, prepared according to box directions (batter for six (4″) waffles)
- 3-4 T. pure maple syrup or honey
- Skewer sticks
- Preheat waffle iron. If using a combination waffle iron/grill, use waffle setting.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten out the bread slices as much as possible.
- Place on each slice of bread a slice of cheese .
- Roll each hot dog up in a slice of flattened bread and cheese,
- hand tight, this should be firm and not open.
- Insert skewer stick in (I cut them in half)
- Whisk the maple syrup or honey into the waffle batter.
- Dip and coat each wrapped hot dog in the batter and place onto the waffle iron. For a standard 4-square waffle iron, cook about three at a time to give each plenty of room. Close the lid and press down gently intermittently.
- It will take about 5 minutes for the waffle to be cooked and crispy, and the hot dog to be hot.
- Repeat with the remaining hotdogs.
- Serve hot, with ketchup and mustard.