John Wayne Layered Casserole
Casseroles are the best dishes for busy weeknights.
We’re not exactly sure where this John Wayne Layered Casserole recipe got its name, but we’re pretty sure that this dish is something the rugged American icon would have loved eating. Packed with great hearty flavors is an easy version of the classic ground beef casserole that you’ll love to make for your family any night of the week. With ingredients like ground beef, biscuit mix, pepper and onion and then topped with a delicious mixture of sour cream, mayo and Cheddar cheese, this is one of those beef casserole recipes that’s nearly impossible to resist. When you serve this cowboy recipe to your family for dinner, you’re sure to get asked to serve up some second helpings!
Cooking Time: 40 min
Cooking Vessel Size: 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (1.25-ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces mayonnaise
- 8 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1 cup water
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced jalapeno peppers
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning and water, according to packet instructions; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, 4 ounces of Cheddar cheese, and half of the onions; set aside.
- Stir Bisquick and water together to form soft dough. Pat dough on the bottom and one-half-inch up the sides of an 9 x 13 inch greased casserole dish.
- Saute remaining onions and bell peppers until slightly tender.
- On top of biscuit mix, evenly distribute ingredients in the following order: ground beef, tomato slices, green peppers, onions, jalapeno peppers, sour cream mixture and end with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until edges of dough are lightly browned.
Recipe from: Recipelion.com