It’s a beautiful blend of rice, corn, red pepper and black beans, with the flavouring coming from green onion, garlic, cilantro and lime juice. My family love this dish containing their favourite ingredients. All happy with the wonderful flavourings!
Mexican Rice Salad
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 can rinsed/drained black beans
- 1 cup corn (I used organic frozen corn because it has no added salt or preservatives)
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1-2 jalapeños (optional)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup patted down chopped cilantro
- some leaves of lettuce washed and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground Mexican chilli pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine rice, 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water, and bring to a boil. Stir once, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 18 minutes. (Do not lift the lid or stir!) Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes; fluff with a fork , cool completely and reserve.
- In a medium bowl mix black beans, corn, bell pepper, tomatoes, red onion, garlic, jalapenos and cilantro and stir all together.
- In another bowl, combine olive oil, lime juice, cumin, Mexican chilli pepper, garlic powder and salt and stir well.
- In a serving dish place the lettuce and rice.
- Top place the vegetable mixes
- Drizzle with dressing.
- Serve cold as a side dish or main course with grilled chicken
- Garnish with sliced avocado, more cilantro and lime slices if desired.