Homemade chocolate cupcakes topped with thick & creamy mint chocolate chip frosting.
This recipe is perfect for birthday parties and kids will adore their ice cream cone-topped treats you could even get their help with the frosting and cone distribution to make them even more special!
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Yields 14 cupcakes
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 1/2 cup (42g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/3 cups (167g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt, optional
- green food coloring (5 drops)
- 12 ice cream cones, optional
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line 14 muffin cups with liners.
- Over high heat, boil the water in a small saucepan. Pour the unsweetened cocoa powder into a medium sized bowl and mix with boiling water until smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature by placing in the refrigerator as you prepare the other ingredients.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand or stand mixer, cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the vanilla extract. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat only until
- In a steady stream, add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fill each muffin tin 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- Bake for 16-19 minutes, keeping an eye on them to avoid even the slightest burning (which will lend dry cupcakes).
- My cupcakes took 17 minutes and a toothpick inserted in the middle came out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool before frosting.
Make the frosting:
- In a large bowl or mixer, whip butter on medium speed for 2-4 minutes, or until lightened in color and fluffy.
Beat in vanilla and mint extracts, then slowly add powdered sugar and cream.
- Mix for another 5 minutes. Don’t forget to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Fold in chocolate chips by hand and frost cupcakes once they’re cool.
Tip: Add more heavy cream if frosting is too thick, more powdered sugar if it’s too thin.
Add salt if it’s too sweet, and more food coloring or mint if needs more color or flavor.
Serve immediately with ice cream cones as garnish.
Recipe adapted from 12Tomatoes