Comfort Food Classic: Mom’s Chicken Pot Pie
This traditional pot pie was every bit as delicious as we remembered! Thanks for the recipe, Mom
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2/3 cup cold buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup green beans (or peas), chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or canned)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour and salt, then add in cubed butter and pulse until mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- Turn mixture out into a bowl and pour in cold buttermilk.
- Use two forks to mix everything together until a shaggy dough forms, then knead on a lightly floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Divide dough into two balls, flatten into discs and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 1-2 hours, or until ready to use.
- When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 375º F.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt butter and sauté onions, carrots and green beans for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Add chicken and corn and cook for another 3-4 minutes, then sprinkle flour over everything and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in chicken broth and season with salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder and turmeric, and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until thickened, then stir in heavy cream and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove one dough disc from refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to 13-inch circle. Transfer it to 9 or 10-inch pie dish, then top with chicken and veggie filling.
- Roll out second dough disc to the same size and gently place over the filling. Crimp and seal the edge of the dough and trim off excess.
- Lightly beat your egg with 2 tablespoons water and brush mixture over the top crust, then use a small paring knife to cut vents in the crust.
- Place pot pie in oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until crust is golden, then cover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from 12 Tomatoes