Wild mushrooms add a rich flavor that makes this low-calorie soup taste as though it has simmered all day long.
Mushroom and Tortellini Soup
YIELD 8 cups
PREP TIME 15 mins
TOTAL TIME 45 mins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 rib celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces mixed wild mushrooms
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups frozen or fresh cheese tortellini
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, combine olive oil, carrots, celery and garlic. Cover pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 15 min.
- Raise heat to medium, add tomato paste and stir 1 min. Add mushrooms, broth, sherry (if using), thyme, salt and 2 cups water.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and cook 4 min or until tender.
- Makes 8 cups.