You can make soup that tastes just like the Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana, its a hearty soup filled with potatoes, sausage, and yes, even bacon.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 onion)
- 2 large russet potatoes sliced in half, then cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth – low sodium is best
- 1 quart (4 cups) of water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup cooked bacon, or canned real bacon bits
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups kale or Swiss chard
- 1 cup heavy cream
In a medium sized skillet brown bulk Italian sausage over medium heat and add in red chili flakes and cook until browned, and completely cooked. Place onions, potatoes, chicken broth and garlic in a large pot, and cook on medium heat until the potatoes are cooked through. Add the cooked sausage, bacon, salt and pepper, and simmer for another 10 minutes. turn the heat to low and add the chopped kale and whipped cream. Heat through and serve.