Party Tortellini Salad
I’ve never been a pasta salad fan, and when I think about it I think pasta and funky vegetables all covered in a thick mayo dressing…the last thing I want on a hot day is a bunch of fat weighing me down! This salad is different. It is fairly light (it is still pasta and cheese, but no heavy dressing!), and served cool or at room temperature, and I find it to be very refreshing alongside something hot off the grill. It is also perfect for a light dinner on an evening in the park.
This tortellini salad has been a favorite of mine my whole life. The recipe is my mom’s, and I remember it from countless picnics and school lunches. It’s always a hit and it’s very easy to throw together. I made it for the Fourth of July, and everyone enjoyed it!
- 1 package cheese tortellini, 13 ounces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, chopped into large chunks
- 1 can black olives, drained and sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook and drain and cool the tortellini.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together vinegar, parsley, lemon juice, basil, oregano and garlic. Add olive oil in a steady stream while whisking. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the tortellini in a large bowl. Add the green bell peppers, red bell peppers, parsley, green onion, grape tomatoes, black olives, cucumber, and feta cheese. Then pour the dressing in and mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours, until well chilled.Hints
- use any salad items you like
- try gorgonzola cheese
- use a store bought dressing if you like