Cheesy Pasta and Smoked Sausage Casserole
Smoked sausage is my new go to meat for a tight budget, so I have been searching for something to use it in besides Jambalaya. I found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine and loved it! I just had to share it! For a healthier casserole, I use whole wheat pasta, turkey smoked sausage, 98% fat free soup and low fat cheese
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
Serves: 6, Yield: 1 cup
recipe from food.com
- 2 cups Spaghetti pasta, uncooked
- 14 ounces smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of celery soup
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar French-fried onions, separated ( I couldn’t find cheddar, so I used regular and it was great)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage in a skillet and drain. (I skipped this step since I was using fully cooked turkey smoked sausage and wouldn’t have any fat to render).
- In a large bowl, combine milk and soup.
- Stir in 1/2 cup onions, 1/4 cup of each cheese, and sausage.
- Drain pasta and stir into sausage mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.