Pastry Filled with Cream and Fruits
- 4 sheets ready-rolled Puff Pastry, thawed
- 2-3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- canola oil
- Fruit Compote – 1 cup
You can either use a pre made Fruit Compote preserve of your choice
- 1-2 cups frozen or fresh fruit of your choice, peeled and sliced or chopped into bite sized pieces if necessary
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of water, you can make thicker or thinner with the amount of water you use
- Optional spices you can include: 1 cinnamon stick, 1-2 slices fresh ginger, 1 vanilla pod, 1 teaspoon grated lemon or orange zest.
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces.
In a medium saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in the milk. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, for 2 to 4 minutes, until the mixture has thickened to a creamy consistancy.
Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla, then the butter, a few pieces at a time, until melted and smooth. Pour into a bowl. Cover with parchment paper and let cool for at least 2 hours.
In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and and any spices you want to use and turn the heat up to high. When the syrup comes to a boil, carefully add the fruit pieces and bring to a boil again.
Turn the heat down to low and cook for at least 15 minutes, longer if you want a thicker, sweeter compote. Let it cool down before you spoon it ontop of the pastry cream.
Layer two sheets of pastry and cut into 4 squares, trimming the edges if needed.
Place onto a baking tray. Lightly cut a 2cm border around the edge of the pastry. Be careful to cut through the first sheet of pastry, but not the second. Repeat with the other 2 sheets of pastry.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray the pastry with canola oil and sprinkle the edges lightly with sugar. Bake for 12-15 min or until pastry is well risen and golden brown in colour. Allow to cool.
Push the pastry in the middle down to make an indent, fill with a dollop of pastry cream and a dollop of fruit compote. Dust with icing sugar.