This is a good vegetarian salad with chickpeas, baby beets, pumpkin, cherry tomatoes, arugula and feta cheese.
Pumpkin Veggie Chickpea Salad
- 3 bunches arugula leaves or mixed greens
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into squares
- 125 ml boiling water
- 1 1/4 cups feta, crumbled
- 5 peeled and pre-cooked baby beets, chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint cherry or plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In large fry pan add boiling water and diced pumpkin.
Cover and cook 10 – 15 minutes till tender.
- Drain and into the same pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper, cook uncovered for a further 2 minutes. Let cool
- Transfer butternut squash to a large (serving) bowl and add chopped beets, arugula and halved tomatoes. Add in crumbled feta and chickpeas.
- In a small bowl or glass, whisk together olive oil and orange juice until combined.
Drizzle salad dressing over peas and vegetables and gently toss together until everything is coated.
Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, and serve immediately.
Note: if cooking beets at home, Cook the beets (a dozen or so baby beets) in boiling water for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Cool; rub off the skins.
Recipe adapted from 12Tomatoes