Fall is here and all I want to do it bake, make, and sniff the air.
These are absolutely DELICIOUS pumpkin cookie that can be eaten single or filled with whoopie pie filling to make it even better
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with a Whipped Cinnamon Filling
Makes 2 dozen pies
Receta credit: Bless this mess please
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup whipping cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer with the cookie paddle attached, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light in color and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and mix to incorporate. Add the pumpkin and vanilla and mix to combine. Sprinkle the flour over the top of the butter mixture and then sprinkle the baking powder, soda, cinnamon, and salt over the flour. Mix until well incorporated, about a minute. Using a one-ounce scoop, scoop the batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookie springs back slightly when touched.
- For the filling: Use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer to beat the butter, whipping cream, cinnamon, and vanilla bean extract with the wire whisk attachment.. Beat at medium-high speed until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and beat for another 3-5 minutes. The filling will be very fluffy and a medium-thin consistency. If the icing is too thick, add a touch of cream and beat again. If it is too thin add a little more powdered sugar and beat again.
- Spread a tablespoon of filling onto flat side of one cookie; top with flat side of second cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling. Store in covered container.