Arugula, Red Beet, Orange, Basil & Blue Cheese Salad topped with Salted Pecans & Orange Vinaigrette
The great thing about this recipe is that it doesn’t take a lot of effort and even less preparation, and you can tweak it any way you want.
Red Beet Orange Salad
- 4-6 lettuce leaves
- 5 ounces organic baby arugula
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves large chop
- 2 oranges, peeled and separate each segment ( or 1 Can – Mandarin Oranges drained)
- 1 pound beets (or 4 beets)
- 3 tablespoons Salted Pecans
- 1/4 cup crumbled Blue cheese
First wash the beets in cold water, cut each in 1/2 and place in a steamer basket. Cook on medium high heat about 15 minutes until al dente (cooked through but still firm). Remove from basket, cool and then rub the skins gently off. Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons good balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon good extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a bowl, whisk together the orange juice, zest, honey, vinegar, mustard and oil; season with salt and pepper
- You can serve individual dishes or make a big bowl
- place: lettuce leaves, arugula, red beet, orange
- sprinkle with pecans salted, blue cheese, and chopped basil
- Serve with orange vinaigrette sauce
Note: The benefits of beets are endless. Beets contain a color pigment called betalain, a powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, fungicidal, and aid in detoxification. Beets are rich in many vitamins and considered an all-around healer.