Red Velvet Cake Balls
These bite sized cake balls look like truffles but taste like cake. Give them away as party favours or serve them as dessert.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2oz red food coloring
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 cups chocolate candy melts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl lightly whisk the eggs. Add the rest of the liquid ingredients and whisk until combined.
- In another bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients and whisk for about a minute, until completely combined.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
- to make the frosting. beat half and half and sugar with electric mixer until smooth. Add butter and vanilla and continue to beat until mixture forms soft peaks.
- Add one cup of frosting into cake crumbs and mix well with hands.
- Scoop out a small handful, form a round ball, and place on tray lined with wax paper. Repeat until mixture is used up.
- Place them in the freezer to firm up for 30-40 minutes.
- Carefully insert the cake ball into the melted chocolate coating by holding one at a time on a fork. Once covered remove and softly tap until the excess chocolate falls off.
- Place on a baking sheet and chill until firm.