Transform those plain red velvet cookies into a cookie sandwich. Trust us, you’ll thank us for it.
Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Filling
Yield: 18 cookies or 9 sandwiches
- 2-2/3 cups (16 ounces) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 package (11.5 oz. ) semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Red food coloring
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3-4 cup powdered sugar
- In a large saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat; cool until mixture is warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla and, if desired, espresso powder until blended. Whisk into chocolate mixture.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt; add to chocolate mixture, mixing well.
Squeeze in desired amount of red food coloring. Fold in chocolate chunks; let stand 10 minutes, then refrigerate overnight or at least for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until set.
- Cool on pans 1-2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla and slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pipe onto the bottom of half the cookies, sandwich with another cookie and then roll in coarse sugar to decorate.