Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze
Yield: 16 pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red food coloring
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 recipe Cream Cheese Glaze, recipe follows
- fresh raspberries and mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 6 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk, plus more if desired
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat an electric non-stick griddle to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Measure out milk into a liquid measuring cup and whisk in vinegar, allow mixture to rest for 2 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture into a separate large mixing bowl and add in sugar, eggs, red food coloring, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk mixture until well combine. While whisking, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combine.
- Butter griddle if necessary and pour about a 1/4 – 1/3 cup batter (depending on how large you want your pancakes) at a time onto hot griddle (you can also use the back of measuring cup or spoon to lightly spread batter from center out to the edge a bit so they aren’t thicker in the center then they are on the edges).
- Cook until bubbles begin to appear on the top surface of the pancakes then flip and cook opposite side until pancake is cooked through (I didn’t want the tops of the pancakes to be brownish red so I flipped them a little earlier than I normally do with pancakes, I didn’t wait for many bubbles).
- Serve warm with Cream Cheese Glaze and garnish with fresh raspberries and mint leaves if desired.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on medium speed, blend together cream cheese and butter until well combine and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients and mix about 1 minute until well combine, adding additional milk to thin if desired. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.