Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
These salted caramel bars are the perfect treat for anytime of the year.
Recipe from Redbookmag
Yields: 24 squares
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1 bag 40 ounce caramels (about 50), unwrapped
- 1 can (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cups unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 bag (10 1/2 ounce) miniature marshmallows
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons sea salt flakes (such as Maldon)
- 8 cups toasted rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- Prepare caramel: Stir ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Line a 13×9-inch baking pan with nonstick foil, extending foil 2 inches beyond the edges.
- In a 6-quart pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add marshmallows and stir with a rubber spatula until almost melted.
- Stir in vanilla, 1 tsp of the sea salt, and 1 cup of the caramel mixture. Continue to stir until mixture is blended and smooth.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cereal until it’s evenly coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Press mixture into pan in an even layer and cool completely.
- Spread the remaining 1 cup of the caramel mixture over cooled cereal. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tsp of the sea salt.
- Remove from pan and peel off foil. Cut into 24 squares. Store in an airtight container.
Image credit: Domesticslice