A simple, 7 ingredient pumpkin soup that’s savory and made completely from scratch! Healthy, satisfying, and perfect for chillier weather.
Simple Pumpkin Soup
Prep time 15 mins
Cook time 1 hour
Total time 1 hour 15 mins
- 2 sugar pumpkins (~2 1/4 cups pumpkin puree)
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 1 cup light coconut milk (or sub other non-dairy milk with varied results)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar (or honey if not vegan)
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the tops of two sugar pumpkins and then halve them. Use a sharp spoon to scrape out all of the seeds and strings (see notes for a link to roasting seeds).
- Brush the flesh with oil and place face down on the baking sheet. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a fork easily pierces the skin. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, then peel away skin and set pumpkin aside.
- To a large saucepan over medium heat add 1 Tbsp olive oil, shallot and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly browned and translucent.
- Turn down heat if cooking too quickly.
- Add remaining ingredients, including the pumpkin, and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer soup mixture to a blender or use an emulsion blender to puree the soup. Pour mixture back into pot.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes and taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve
Recipe By Minimalistbaker