This recipe is from Ribs, Chops, Steaks, and Wings by Ray “Dr. BBQ” Lampe (Chronicle Books, 2009). I made it earlier this summer for some slow grilled pork shoulder and we loved it. Of course the recipe makes so much, I cut it in half and still had lots left over.
Try brown sugar if you can’t find raw sugar which retails as “Sugar in the Raw” at most markets.
Try any kind of paprika if you don’t have smoked. Sweet Hungarian will be just fine.
Granulated garlic: I have a shaker of dried garlic bits mixed with chives called “Oh Garlic! It comes in handy for spice blends like this one, but sue what you can find. Just get that garlic flavor in there.
Maybe you have some of your own favorite rub on hand already — use that. You know how these recipes work!
Slow cooker Beef Short Ribs Recipe
- 4 lbs. English cut short ribs
- 2 tbsp spice rub (above)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup ruby port
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp barley malt syrup
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 4 lg. Cloves garlic
- Pat the short ribs with paper towels and sprinkle the spice rub over all surfaces, turning to coat as needed. To make it easy, do this in a large paper bag and shake.
Combine the remainder of the ingredients and mix well.
Place the ribs in your slow cooker and pour liquid mixture over.
Cover the slow cooker and set on Low for 7 hours.
Serve with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables
- It crumbled also for sandwich with two forks.
Place in a well-sealed container in the fridge or freezer if not using immediately.