Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Chicken
The original recipe uses skinless chicken thighs, I have adapted this to chicken wings.
My family loves chicken wings anyway, in times super bowl, these are our favorite wings !!!
You can adapt this recipe as one you like, with wings, chicken legs or thighs.
Prep time: 10 min |Cook time: 6 hours | Yield: About 4 to 6 servings
- 3 pounds of chicken thighs, skin removed
(I use chicken wings)
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of Creole or Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama), or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, or to taste
- 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 1 (6 ounce) can of pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Remove skin from chicken (skip this step if using chicken wings) and season lightly with the salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning and garlic powder. Pat seasoning into chicken and place into the slow cooker. Whisk together the brown sugar, pineapple juice and soy sauce; pour around chicken. Cover and cook on low for about 5 to 6 hours, depending on the size. Use a wide spatula to remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a platter and loosely tent with aluminum foil; set aside to prepare the glaze.
- Turn cooker to high until mixture comes to a boil, or transfer to a saucepan for the stovetop. Whisk together the water and cornstarch until there are no lumps. Slowly stir into the boiling sauce until fully incorporated and continue boiling for about 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let rest a moment. Brush the sauce over each chicken thigh and serve the remaining sauce at the table.