Highly seasoned pork sausage and corn bread crumbs add a southwestern twist to traditional stuffing, and the slow cooker makes it fuss-free!
- 15 min
- Total Time 3 hr 45 min
- Servings 16
Slow-Cooker Chorizo, Pecan and Cheddar Stuffing
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, casing removed and crumbled or 1 pound bulk chorizo sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 medium celery stalks, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 package (16 ounces) seasoned cornbread stuffing crumbs (5 3/4 cups)
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Progresso™ chicken broth (from 32-ounce carton)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- Cook sausage, onion and celery in 10-inch skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
- Place sausage mixture, stuffing crumbs, butter, sage and pepper in 4- to 5-quart slow cooker.
- Pour broth over mixture; toss to combine. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 3 hours to 3 hours 30 minutes. Gently stir in cheese and pecans.
- Serve stuffing, or keep warm in slow cooker up to 1 hour. Or use to stuff one 12- to 14-pound turkey.
- Instead of cooking the stuffing in the slow cooker, use this recipe to stuff any 12- to 14-pound bird. After making the stuffing mixture, stuff and bake turkey as directed in the turkey recipe. The center of the stuffing must reach 165°F.
- To toast nuts, bake uncovered in ungreased shallow pan in 350ºF oven about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Or cook in ungreased heavy skillet over medium-low heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until browning begins, then stirring constantly until golden brown.
Recipe Credit: Bettycrocker.com