Want that marshmallow-topped sweet potato flavor without taking up precious oven space? Just make it in the slow cooker instead!
Slow-Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
Prep Time 20 min
Total Time 3 hr 50 min
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Spray oval 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In large microwavable bowl, mix brown sugar, butter, pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon water. Microwave uncovered on High 1 1/2 minutes, stirring once.
- Stir in vanilla. Add sweet potatoes; stir to coat thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into slow cooker. Cover; cook on High heat setting 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until fork tender. Reduce to Warm heat setting until ready to serve.
- Stir mixture; top with marshmallows, and cover 1 to 2 minutes or until marshmallows melt slightly.
- Want a mashed sweet potato casserole instead? Before topping with marshmallows, mash, crush or smash potatoes using potato masher, or beat with electric mixer on low speed until well blended. Do not overmix. Continue with recipe as directed.
- If you like the toasty marshmallow look of the traditional casserole, just pour the cooked mixture into greased or sprayed 13×9-inch ovenproof casserole, top with marshmallows and broil 6 inches from heat 30 seconds to 1 minute or until marshmallows just begin to brown.
Recipe Credit: Bettycrocker.com