Here’s a little sugar and spice for your Saturday morning breakfast: Cinnamon Sugar French Toast Bites. This recipe is perfect to get kids in the kitchen!
They taste like mini cinnamon sugar doughnuts.
Snickerdoodle French Toast Bites
- 4 thick slices of slightly stale white bread (1″/2.5cm thick) (Note 1)
- 2 large eggs (or 3 small eggs)
- ¼ cup milk
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 3 tbsp butter, separated
- Maple syrup to serve (not optional!)
- Cut the crust off the bread, then cut each piece into 9 equal cubes.
- Whisk the eggs, milk and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Melt 1½ tbsp of butter in a fry pan over medium high heat. Don’t let the butter brown.
- Quickly toss half the bread cubes in the egg mixture and use your hands to shake off excess egg mixture. Place the bread cubes in the fry pan and use a wooden spoon to “sauté” them until browned on all sides – about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the bread cubes from the fry pan straight into the sugar mixture. Toss to coat, then remove onto a plate.
- Repeat with remaining bread cubes.
- Serve immediately, with maple syrup for dipping.