Sponge Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Sponge cake is a classic recipe. It is simple and easily customized. Various kinds of frosting and fillings can be added to sponge cake to give it so many different flavor combinations. It can be filled with fruit or topped homemade buttercream. No matter how you choose to dress up your sponge cake recipe, you will always end up with a delicious dessert.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 8 oz. (450-g pkg.)Unsweetened Chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 inch cake pan
- Sift the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer beat the butter for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat another 3 minutes. Add the eggs, and beat thoroughly.
- Start adding the flour mixture one cup at a time, and alternate with the milk; ending with the flour mixture. Add the vanilla, mix well and pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or when a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
- For the frosting. melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over hot water, stirring occasionally.
- Mix sugar, milk and vanilla in medium bowl. Add in chocolate, beating with mixer on low speed 2 minutes.
- Let cool until frosting is desired spreading consistency.