Strawberry Marshmallow Cake – Hmmmmmm, Creamy Marshmallow and Sweet Strawberries
Strawberry Marshmallow Cake
- ½ C milk
- ½ C fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3 C cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 C butter, softened
- 2 C sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ C plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- ⅓ C water
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp grated orange peel
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb. strawberries (about 4 cups), sliced
- whole strawberries, halved or whole for garnish
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 3 (9×2-inch) round baking pans with cooking spray. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper; spray paper.
- Combine milk and orange juice in small bowl.
Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- Mix butter and 2 cups sugar in large bowl at medium speed 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Beating slowly, beat in flour mixture in 3 parts alternately with orange juice mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Divide batter between pans.
- Bake for 30- 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 15 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pan and remove parchment. Turn cakes top-side up; cool completely.
(Cake can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.)
- Beat 1¼ cups of the sugar, water, egg whites and cream of tartar in large heatproof bowl at high speed 1 minute or until egg whites are foamy and opaque. Place bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water (bowl should not touch water); beat at high speed 7 minutes or until soft peaks form
- Remove bowl from saucepan. Add orange peel and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat at high speed 2 minutes or until slightly cool and thickened.
Divide frosting in 3 bowls
- Combine sliced strawberries and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in large bowl; let stand 15 minutes. divided.
Assemble the cake
- Spoon a part of the strawberry mixture, including juice, over bottom layer add a frosting bowld .
- Top with second layer and the remaining of strawberry mixture.
add another frosting bowld
- Top with third layer.
Spread remaining frosting over top of cake.
- Garnish with strawberries. Store in refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from Your home based mom