It is a fall dish, but these apple dumplings are so easy, crisp, and perfectly spiced that we can’t help making them all year round. Assembling these dumplings is simple, especially when armed with the convenience of pre-made dough.
1. After peeling and coring the apples, slice each in half crosswise.
2. Carefully unroll a can of crescent roll dough in one sheet onto a lightly floured counter. Be careful not to separate the dough along its perforated lines, then cut the dough into four 6 by 3 1/2-inch rectangles.
3. Fold each rectangle in half widthwise and roll each into a 6-inch square. This ensures that the seams won’t burst open during cooking.
4. Place half of an apple in the center of each square, then add a piece of butter and sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar. Pull the edges of the dough up over the apple, twisting the dough ends to form a knot at the top.
Here complete recipe:
Image credit: pillsbury.com
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Mountain Dew ™
2. Cut each apple into 8 wedges and set aside. Separate the crescent roll dough into triangles. Roll each apple wedge in crescent roll dough starting at the smallest end. Pinch to seal and place in the baking dish.
3. Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in the sugar and cinnamon. Pour over the apple dumplings. Pour Mountain Dew™ over the dumplings.
4. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.