Thin Mint Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth.
- Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Next add half of the buttermilk
- Gently stir – about 5 stirs
- Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk
- Add 8 crumbled Thin Mint cookies to the mix and fold in
- Stir until just combined. The batter won’t be very thick
- Pour the batter into the liners – fill only 3/4 full
- Bake in batches for 18-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely before frosting
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Fit the mixer with the whisk attachment and mix on medium speed until smooth. While the mixture is still whipping, slowly pour in the heavy cream. Stop and scrape the bottom of the bowl a couple of times while you continue whipping until the cream can hold a stiff peak.
Recipe Credit: Stowedstuff.com