Tres Leches Cake is a long standing Tex-Mex favorite. The name literally means “three milks”. The three milks we use are evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and half & half. I’ve also heard rumors that some people swap out the evaporated milk for goat’s milk.
The idea behind Tres Leches is that the three milks are combined and allowed to soak into white vanilla cake for a day or two to make an extremely luscious dessert. The resulting texture is somewhere between custard and bread pudding, and intensely sweet – in a great way.
Bake this delicious tres leches bread pudding – perfect dessert for your guests.
The flavor of this Tres Leches Bread Pudding is amazing!
Tres Leches Bread Pudding with Vanilla Cream Sauce
- 1 loaf french bread, thinly sliced and cut into quarters
- 2¼ cups whole milk
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 large egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon rum extract
Vanilla Cream sauce
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease 9×13 baking pan.
- Place bread slices in pan and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla, rum extract, salt and egg yolks until smooth.
- Pour over bread and bake 375 degrees F for 40-50 minutes, until golden brown and set.
- Serve warm and top with Vanilla Cream Sauce.
Vanilla Cream Sauce
- Stir whipping cream, sugar, and flour together in a saucepan.
- Add butter and cook stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.