Vanilla Magic Custard Cake is melt-in-your-mouth soft and creamy dessert. It’s Incredible!!! A simple and easy cake batter to bake and see how the magic happens !!!!! This delicious cake is made up of triple layered cake. Creamy, custard like, vanilla layer is separated between light and fluffy layer on top and dense cake layer on the bottom.
If you look closely enough you can see this cake has 3 layers, with a layer of custard in the middle. The way it looks it almost reminded me of a Napoleon dessert. So at first sight you might think this cake is a lot of work where you make the cake separately and the custard separately and you cut the cake in half and put custard in the middle and so on. Not at all!
This truly is a magic cake and what happens is pure magic. OK maybe not, but close enough. You really only have to make the batter which is very thin, when you read the recipe you’ll see that the ratio of milk to flour is high, so the batter is very thin, similar to a crepe batter. The best part is that’s the hardest thing you have to do, is make the batter, pour the batter in a 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish, place it in the oven and let the magic happen. After an hour you have a perfect 3 layer cake with the most delicious custard layer.
See full video step by step
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 9 servings
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (135g) sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- For Serving
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C). Grease and line a 8×8 inch (20x20cm) pan with parchment paper.
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Mix egg yolks with sugar, butter vanilla extract and lemon zest until smooth. Add flour and mix until well blended. Add milk and continue mixing on low speed until homogenous.
- In another bowl whip the whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the milk and yolks mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 80-90 minutes until lightly golden. Let it cool completely in the pan and refrigerate to set for a couple of hours.
- Trim the edges and cut the cake into bars. Top the bars with whipped cream and lemon slices if desired or simply dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!