Make dinner a special occasion with this Homemade Version of Chicken Madeira. It’s an easy chicken recipe with sophisticated flair. It’s the perfect dish to make for a date night in. You’ll savor the flavors of mushroom, asparagus and more all simmered together in a brown sugar and balsamic vinegar based glazed. Trick your significant other into thinking you are a restaurant chef when you make this inspired recipe pick for dinner.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3/4 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- pepper (to taste)
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 c. balsamic vinegar
- 1 c. beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- pepper (to taste)
- 12 asparagus spears
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese (go to the deli section, they will give you 4 slices of each cheese.
- It’s less expensive this way)
- Place chicken between 2 pieces of Saran Wrap and pound until it is about 1/4″ thick. Place chicken in a ziploc bag, place bag in a bowl big enough to hold the chicken. Combine marinade ingredients and pour in the bag. Squeeze all the air out of the bag and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- About 20 minutes before chicken is done marinating, heat oil in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and saute for a couple minutes. Add remaining sauce ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until sauce thickens and reduces to about 1/2-1/4 of it’s original volume (when it is done, the sauce should be dark brown in color).
- While the sauce is simmering, place chicken in a lightly greased glass dish and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through). You can also grill the chicken at this point which tastes awesome too! While chicken is baking prepare the asparagus buy sauteing the spears in some butter or oil until crisp-tender.
- Remove chicken from the oven (or grill) and layer on one slice of provolone cheese, a few asparagus spears, then one slice mozzarella cheese on each piece of chicken. Set the oven to broil and broil for about 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and starts to brown a little. Right before serving, spoon some of the sauce over each piece of chicken. Serve with mashed potatoes.