Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
These biscuits are the perfect accompaniment to almost any meal. Seafood, fish, steak, etc. They are fast and easy to make, and include no pre-made ingredients (baking mix, refrigerated biscuits, etc).
The secret to tender biscuits is to NOT OVER MIX. Biscuits need care. They are simple, but many people are lump-phobic. It may take some time and effort, but if you can overcome this, your biscuits will thank you.
Put the flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder into a mixing bowl. Stir until combined. Add in the softened butter and cut in with a pastry blender, a few forks, or with your hands if you are brave. Stop when the butter is worked in, but still lumpy.
Add in the cheese, sour cream, and milk and stir until the dry ingredient are wet. Leave some lumps!
Place the dough in large spoon-fulls on a greased cookie sheet with sides (don’t use a flat sheet!).
Melt 1 stick of butter, 1.5 teaspoons of garlic powder, 1 tsp parsley, and ¼ tsp salt in a bowl. Spoon half of this mixture over the unbaked dough on the cookie sheet.
Bake at 450 for 18-20 minutes, depending on the size of biscuits you’ve made. You want them golden brown on the top.
Spoon the rest of the butter mixture over the cooked rolls.
Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
Cheesy cheddar garlic drop biscuits that rival any major seafood chain’s biscuits! Made from scratch. Control the ingredients, control the flavor.
• 2.5 cups bread flour
• 1 TBSP baking powder
• 1.5 tsp sugar
• 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1 stick butter, softened
• 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1 1/4 cup milk
• 1 stick butter
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp parsley
• 1/4 tsp salt
1. Put flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder into a mixing bowl and stir until combined.
2. Add the softened butter and cut into flour mixture with a pastry blender, two forks, or your hands. Leave some lumps!
3. Add in sour cream, cheddar cheese, and milk. Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened. Don’t overmix!
4. Melt 1 stick of butter and add 1 tsp garlic powder, parsley, and salt. Place spoonfuls of dough mixture onto a prepped baking sheet with sides. Spoon 1/2 of melted butter mixture over biscuits.
5. Bake at 450 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Pull them out when the biscuits are golden brown. Spoon the rest of the butter mixture over the baked biscuits.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 18 mins
Total time: 38 mins
Yield: 20-25 biscuits