I am a self-confessed chocolate lover. I have always LOVED mud cakes. I tried several recipes of mud cake over the years, unfortunately I was disappointed each time. After several times of “trials and errors”, I have come up with the best recipes :-). I must admit the picture I included in here isn’t very good, but believe me, it taste a lot better than what it looks like, lol. I didn’t bother decorating the cake, it was gone before I could go to the store to buy a decorating kit to “learn” on how to decorate a cake ;-)
Chocolate Mud Cake
- 350grams Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Bar for Baking
- 250grams Butter (about 2 1/2 sticks)
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups of Caster (Superfine) Sugar (If you can’t find SUPERFINE sugar, just use regular sugar and
- put it in the blender).
- 2 cups of Self-Raising Flour
- 4 eggs
- You will need a 9″ round cake tin. Make sure to use a “heavy” tin, this will ensure that your cake will be cooked evenly.
- Preheat your oven to 325F or 170c
- Gather the dark chocolates, butter and water and put it in a medium size saucepan. Stir frequently over low heat until all chocolates and butter are melted and looking very smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly beat eggs in a large bowl. Slowly pour the chocolate mixture into the eggs.
- Add sugar and flour into the chocolate mixture, and continue mixing until well-blended.
- Finally, pour your mixture into cake tin. Make sure to use a baking paper so that it won’t stick on the bottom and sides. Bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool, before adding the ganache.
- 300 grams hersheys or ghiradelli dark chocolates pieces
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Melt dark chocolate pieces, butter and heavy cream over low heat, make sure to stir frequently until melted and very smooth. Feel free to add more cream if mixture is too thick.
- This cake can be frozen for 4-6months.
- Warm it up in a microwave if you have any leftovers :-). Goes very well with ice creams and strawberries. ENJOY!