Bake the irresistible combination of caramel and apples in an easy cookie mix bar.
In these decadently delicious bars, a shortbread crust is layered with spiced apples and homemade caramel then finished with a crumb topping.
Note: To make quick work of the apple slices, I prefer to use a peeling machine such as this one which I think is also a great investment for pies. If you’re doing the slicing by hand, simply peel and core the apples then slice into 1/8-inch slices.
Easy Caramel Apple Bars
- Prep Time 15 min
- Total Time 2 hr 55 min
- Servings 36
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® oatmeal cookie mix
- 1 egg
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- 3/4 cup caramel topping
- 1/4 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, cut butter into cookie mix using fork or pastry blender. Stir in egg until mixture is crumbly.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups cookie mixture. Press remaining cookie mixture into bottom of pan. Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle apple evenly over crust. In small bowl, mix caramel topping and flour; drizzle over apples. Sprinkle reserved cookie mixture over apples.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 2 hours. For bars, cut into 9 rows by 4 rows.