Berries and apples are my favorite fruit combination in crumbles and cobblers. I try to have blueberries and cranberries as often as possible for their powerful antioxidant goodness. Here’s a way to enjoy a delectable crumble, minus the 30 -40 minute baking time usually required.
Apple Blueberry Crisp
- 2.5 cups chopped apples
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (use already ground if you have to)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup softened unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray small cast iron pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Spread chopped apples in bottom of pan, sprinkle blueberries on top of apples.
3. In a small bowl, combine flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Cut in butter using a fork or a pastry cutter until combined and butter is in small pieces. Sprinkle this mixture on top of fruit.
4. Bake 30-40 minutes until apples are soft and crisp on top is browned.
5. Enjoy with ice cream. Or for breakfast. Or for breakfast with ice cream