Removing the excess moisture from cucumbers is vital to getting the rich texture that a creamy cucumber salad should have. Toss thinly sliced cucumbers with salt, let them sit for an hour, and then gently press out the moisture with paper towels. Mix the seasoned cucumbers with sour cream, vinegar, and fresh herbs. Serve this light, summery salad next to a piece of grilled salmon.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
Total Time: 1 hr 15 mins
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 pound English cucumber (about 1 medium cucumber), sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill, chives, or a mixture of both
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place a colander or fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl. Add the cucumbers and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and toss to combine. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Under running water, rinse the cucumbers, remove all exes salt.
- Line a work surface with 1 layer of paper towels. Using your hands, remove the cucumbers from the strainer and arrange them in a flat, even layer on the paper towels, top with another layer of paper towels, and gently press to absorb any moisture. Discard the liquid in the bowl and wipe it dry.
- Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, herbs, vinegar, pepper, sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt in the bowl. Add the cucumbers and stir to evenly coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.