The crispy orange chicken bowl from the famous eatery Applebee’s is one of their top-selling menu items Instead of heading out to get this at the restaurant, why not make a copycat version at home! We promise it tastes just like theirs!
Shared by DanKSC
Copycat Applebee’s Crispy Orange Chicken Bowl
30 min preparation + 30 min cooking
Serving Size / Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 lbs chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 1 lg. egg
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1/2 C. cornstarch
- 1 add’l Tbs. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour
- frying oil (we prefer peanut)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice (without pulp)
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 C. sugar or sugar substitute
- salt and pepper
- stir-fry veggies
- steamed rice
- Whisk egg, salt, pepper, and 1 Tbs. vegetable oil in a medium bowl. Cut chicken into 2-inch pieces and add to the egg mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cornstarch and whole what flour. Add to the chicken mixture. Make sure each piece is coated well by tossing vigorously.
- Fry chicken at 375 degrees for 3-4 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels and place into an oven on the warm setting.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients (except the rice) in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and allow to cook for 3 minutes. Stir constantly. Pour glaze over cooked chicken and serve on a bed of rice.