This family-style dinner is a great way to corral the whole gang around the table. Copycat White Chicken Chili is an easy chicken dish packed with soulful flavor. It tastes like home cooking should. Sweet onions and bell peppers make the recipe really pop.
Cheesecake Factory White Chicken Chili
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 7 oz can Salsa Verde
- 1 15.5 oz can of Navy beans
- 1 15.5 oz can of Red Kidney beans
- 11 oz can of White Shoepeg corn
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 16 fl. oz organic chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Chopped green onions to top
- Cheddar cheese to top
- Dice the chicken into 1″ cubes. Chop the onion and red bell pepper into small pieces. Mix the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder together in a small bowl.
- In a large French oven or soup pot, heat the vegetable oil on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add chicken to the pot and stir immediately so it won’t stick. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Allow the chicken to brown.
- When there are nice caramelization marks on the chicken pieces, add the spice mix to the chicken and stir to distribute. When the chicken is cooked through, remove to a bowl and set aside.
- There should still be some oil and chicken juices in the pan, but if not, add another tablespoon of oil if needed. Add onion and bell pepper to the pan and allow to sweat down to a medium brown on the onions, when they’re translucent and beginning to caramelize as well. The red pepper should also have a little browning on it.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, then add the flour and stir to evenly coat all the ingredients. Add the Salsa Verde, beans, and corn to the pot. Stir.
- Add the half and half and organic chicken broth to the pan and stir. Add sour cream. Lower the heat to a low medium and stir the chili. As the chili heats through, it should begin to thicken. If the chili doesn’t thicken as much as you would like, make a cornstarch slurry to thicken further.
- Serve with chopped green onions, more sour cream and cheddar cheese for topping. Fabulous served over white or brown rice, the way the Cheesecake Factory serves it. It would also go really well with maple corn bread.