Cherry Bar Dessert. Want something simple by special? Try these festive fruit-filled bars from Jane Kamp of Grand Rapids, Michigan. With their pretty color from cherry pie filling and subtle almond flavor, they’re destined to become Christmas classics.
Cherry Bar Dessert
60 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 Eggland’s Best Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and
- salt until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well
- after each addition. Beat in extracts. Gradually add flour.
- Spread 3 cups batter into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread
- with pie filling. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over
- filling. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely
- in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, extracts and enough milk
- to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over top. Yield: 5 dozen.