Everyone seems to have their own version of scalloped potatoes. I like to make mine with bacon and cheddar.
Bacon and cheddar are quite possibly one of the happiest couples I have ever seen!
This is a very rich dish, so please share the love!
Don’t put a huge pile of these on your plate or try to run off with half the pan. Your thighs will punish you later, I can attest!
Bacon and Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
Serves 6 to 8.
- 5 large Russet potatoes (baking size), peeled and thinly sliced to 1/8″ thickness
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 4 Tbs butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika, plus additional for garnish
- 1 cup bacon cooked, chopped, divided
- Wash potatoes; peel, slice, and set aside.
- In over med/low heat. melt butter in a large skillet .
Add onion; increase heat to medium, and cook for several minutes.
- *if necessary, add more butter during this process.
When onions are tender, sprinkle with 1/4 cup flour, stirring as you go.
- Slowly whisk in chicken stock. Heat until lightly bubbling.
- Whisk in cream and cheddar cheese, quickly stirring as you go.
- Reduce heat to very low, and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. *Taste to see if you’d like more salt.
- Layer half of your sliced potatoes in shallow casserole dish, so that they are overlapping each other. Spoon half of your onion/cheese sauce on top. Sprinkle with half bacon.
- Repeat with remaining half of potatoes, onion/cheese sauce.
- Top with cover with remaining bacon.
- Cover with foil. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour; removing foil last 10 minutes, so that potatoes and sauce can brown a bit.
Best served piping hot.
Slightly adapted from: Dishing With leslie.