Bistro shrimp pasta is spaghettini tossed in a creamy lemon-garlic sauce with sautéed mushrooms and tomatoes, crispy shrimp, and fresh arugula.
This is a copycat recipe for The Cheesecake Factory’s Bistro Shrimp Pasta. It’s been lightened up so that it has the same flavors without the 3,000 calories! Your whole family is going to love this!
Bistro Shrimp Pasta
Cook time: 50 mins Total time: 50 mins
Serves: 4 – 6 servings
For the Shrimp:
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 egg white, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or arrow root powder)
- 6 tablespoons italian breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- For the creamy lemon-garlic sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half (regular or fat free)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice + ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 basil leaves, julienned
For the pasta:
- 12 oz. spaghettini, prepared according to package directions
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1.5 cups (6 oz) Crimini or button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup (5 oz) grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup packed arugula
For the shrimp:
- Set a skillet on medium heat, add enough oil for frying, at least 2 inches. In a medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, salt, and cornstarch.
- In another medium bowl combine the shrimp and the egg white and toss to coat.
- Dip each individual shrimp in the breadcrumbs and fry in the oil.
- Fry in oil for 1 minute on each side or until light golden brown.
- Remove to a plate that’s covered with a paper towel. Set aside for later use.
For the sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, and cornstarch, whisk to work out any lumps. Set aside.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a 1 quart saucepan. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and half and half.
- Bring to a simmer and let the sauce reduce by ¼. Whisk the half and half mixture while slowly adding in the cornstarch slurry.
- Once added continue to whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Let sauce reduce again by ¼.
- Add black pepper, red pepper flakes and season with additional salt if needed.
- Add the basil just before serving.
For the pasta:
- In a medium skillet heat the olive oil and sauté the mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In a large pot or bowl, toss the cooked spaghettini, mushroom/tomato mixture, arugula, and half of the sauce.
- Using two large spoons toss until all ingredients have been combined.
- When ready to serve, spoon pasta mixture into plate, top with 5 – 6 shrimps per person and drizzle remaining sauce over each individual serving.
- You can also serve this family style by following the same steps on a larger platter.