This recipe delivers a rich and deeply braise with red wine, mushrooms, lardons, and onions that tastes like it was in the oven all day, except that it wasn’t.
Chicken Braised in Red Wine
Prep 30 min
Cook 60 min
Ready 90 min
- 3 lb (up to 3 1/2 lbs.) broiler-fryer chicken, cut up (I remove the skin)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp black pepper
- 6 slice bacon
- 6 small onion
- 1⁄2 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 4 carrot, halved or julienned
- 1 cup chicken broth, (or 1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup water)
- 1 cup Burgundy red wine
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp whole thyme leaf
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprig parsley, (tied in cheesecloth bag, or place in teaball)
- Mix flour, salt and pepper and put in paper or plastic bag.
- Drop chicken pieces into bag and shake to coat.
- In large skillet fry bacon until crisp; drain and reserve bacon bits.
- Brown chicken in bacon drippings.
- Remove to a plate.
- Add onions and mushrooms to skillet and cook until onions are tender.
- Drain off fat.
- Return chicken pieces to skillet (or you can place this in a large oven-proof baking dish).
- Add remaining ingredients, including bacon bits.
- Cover and simmer about 1 hours.
or until chicken is tender.
(Or cover and bake at 350F for 1-1 1/2 hrs).
- Remove Bouquet Garni before serving.
- Skim off excess fat.
- If desired, sprinkle with snipped parsley.
Read more at http://thinkarete.com/cty0w#CkzbXAQLY2sHSwam.99