This chicken Kiev recipe is so simple and comforting; good quality chicken, tasty garlic butter and golden breadcrumbs make the perfect chicken Kiev.
Perfect Chicken Kiev
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup panko or Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- vegetable oil, for frying
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a medium bowl, beat together butter, parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic and lemon juice, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roll butter into a log, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper and pound them until they’re 1/4-inch thick.
- Place a cube of butter in the center of each flattened chicken breast, then fold in the sides so there’s no open space where butter could escape. (Optional: use a toothpick to seal.)
- Heat 2-3 inches vegetable oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until water sizzles when water droplets are sprinkled on it.
- Set up and assembly line by your workstation with flour in one bowl, beaten eggs in a second, and panko and parmesan in a third.
- Dredge each chicken pocket in flour, shake off excess, then dip completely in egg wash.
- Shake off excess and press chicken firmly (on all sides) in panko cheese mixture.
- Transfer coated chicken carefully to hot oil and cook on all sides until coating is golden brown.
- Then remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts, then transfer them all to a baking dish.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and serve hot with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
Recipe adapted from 12tomtoes