I hope this simple, cheesy, homestyle Zucchini Rice Casserole will please the palates at your table as much as it does at mine and let all of us who obsess over side dishes sleep a little better at night.
- 8 cups sliced zucchini ( about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese ( 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a dutch oven, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain; partially mash with a potato masher.
- Combine zucchini mixture, rice, sour cream, cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and eggs in a bowl; stir gently.
- Spoon zucchini mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parmesan and 1/2 cup grated mozzarella .
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil one minute or until lightly browned.