Bread Pudding with Vanilla Cream Sauce. Bread pudding is a bread-based dessert popular in many countries’ cuisines, including that of Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Cuba, France, Germany, Ireland, Malta, Mexico, the Netherlands,Slovakia, the Philippines, Puerto Rico, and the United Kingdom, as well as the Creole people of Louisiana and others in the southern United States. In other languages, its name is a translation of “bread pudding” or even just “pudding”, for example “pudín” or “budín” in Spanish; also in Spanish another name is “migas” (crumbs). In the Philippines, banana bread pudding is popular. In Mexico, there is a similar dish eaten during Lent called capirotada.
There is no fixed recipe, but it is usually made using stale (usually left-over) bread, and some combination of ingredients like milk, egg, suet, sugar or syrup, dried fruit, and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, mace or vanilla. The bread is soaked in the liquids, mixed with the other ingredients, and baked.
It may be served with a sweet sauce of some sort, such as whiskey sauce, rum sauce, or caramel sauce, but is typically sprinkled with sugar and eaten warm in squares or slices. Sometimes bread pudding is served warm topped with or alongside a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. In Canada it is often made with maple syrup. In Malaysia, bread pudding is eaten with custard sauce. In Hong Kong, bread pudding is usually served with vanilla cream dressing. In Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany, black bread is used to make “black bread pudding” (Schwarzbrotpudding). In Hungary it is called ‘Máglyarakás’ which is baked with whipped egg whites on top of it. In Puerto Rico, bread pudding is soaked over night in coconut milk and served with a guava rum sauce.
Image Credit: leolintang
Bread Pudding with Vanilla Cream Sauce
- 6 slices day-old bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vanilla Cream sauce
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Garnish: Raisins, currents, or cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.
Vanilla Cream Sauce
- Stir whipping cream, sugar, and flour together in a saucepan.
- Add butter and cook stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.