Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes. Want to prepare an easy slow-cooked side dish? Then check out these mashed potatoes – an all time favorite.
The use of “floury” types of potato is usually recommended, although “waxy” potatoes are sometimes used for a different texture. Butter, vegetable oil, milk and/or cream are usually added to improve flavor and texture, and the potatoes are seasoned with salt, pepper, and any other desired herbs and spices. Popular ingredients and seasonings include: garlic, cheese, bacon bits, sour cream, crisp onion or spring onion, mustard, spices such as nutmeg, chopped herbs such as parsley or rosemary, white turnip, and wasabi. A French variation adds egg yolk for pommes duchesse; piped through a pastry tube into wavy ribbons and rosettes, brushed with butter and lightly browned. In low-calorie or non-dairy variations, milk, cream and butter may be replaced by soup stock or broth. Aloo Bharta, an Indian sub-continent variation, uses chopped onions, mustard (oil, paste or seeds), chili pepper, coriander leaves and other spices.
Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
prep time 30 min
total time 5 hr 0 min
- 5 lb baking potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, cut into chunks
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1 medim sized cooking onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, place potatoes, chicken broth and butter.
- Cover; cook on High heat setting 4 hours to 4 hours 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients except milk. Mash, crush or smash potatoes using potato masher, or beat with electric mixer on low speed until well blended. Do not overmix. Stir in enough milk for desired creamy consistency. Cover and keep warm on Low or Warm heat setting until serving time, up to 2 hours.
- When it is time to serve the potatoes, put the butter and chopped onions in a skillet and fry them until golden brown.
- Put a spoonful on top of each serving.
Tips: Russet or Idaho baking potatoes are both good picks for these easy mashed potatoes.
If you prefer, these potatoes can be cooked on a low heat setting for 8 hours.