Chocolate cake baked in the slow cooker with a layer of gooey caramel in the middle. Oh and frosting and more caramel and pecans on top. YES.
–Here are all the ingredients you’ll need to make this easy peasy and oh-so-tasty cake. From here on out, you’re about T-minus three hours to slow cooker cake bliss – with almost no effort at all.
-Mix the cake batter ingredients, then pour half of it into the bottom of a lined and greased slow cooker. Cover and turn the slow cooker on high. Bake the cake until it’s just set, about 1 1/2 hours.
-When the cake is just about set, make the caramel layer by melting together caramel bits and sweetened condensed milk.
-Pour about 2/3 of the caramel on top of the cake in the slow cooker. Ohhhhhhh man.
-Then pour the remaining cake batter on top. Cover it again and let it cook until the top cake is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean (a few crumbs are OK).
-Let the cake cool in the insert on a cooling rack for a few minutes, then remove it from the insert and pull the foil away from the sides of the cake. CARE.FUL.LY. invert the cake onto a serving plate. What was upside-down is now right-side up! Or is it what was right-side up is now upside-down? My head hurts.
-When the cake is fully cooled (patience, young grasshopper), frost the top with some chocolate frosting.
-Then pour the remaining caramel sauce all over the top of the cake and sprinkle pecan halves on top, like so.
-See this, here? Grab a friend and devour this treat – a piece at a time ‘til it’s gone. At least that’s what I did.
Slow Cooker Turtle Upside-Down Cake
- Prep Time 10 min
- Total Time 3 hr 0 min
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist German chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (11 oz) package caramel bits
- 1 container Betty Crocker milk chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup storebought caramel sauce
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Line the inside with foil, then spray the foil.
- In a large bowl, beat together cake mix, water, oil, eggs, butter and 1/3 can of sweetened condensed milk on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the bottom of prepared slow cooker. Cover and turn on HIGH. Bake 1 1/2 hours or until cake is just set.
- In a medium bowl, combine caramel bits and another 1/3 can of sweetened condensed milk. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, then stir to melt caramel bits. Pour about 2/3 of the caramel mixture on top of the cake in the slow cooker, then pour remaining cake batter on top. Cover and cook on HIGH another 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the top cake comes out mostly clean.
- Remove stoneware insert and transfer to a cooling rack; cool cake 15 minutes in insert.
- Carefully lift cake from the insert using foil as handles and place on cooling rack. Carefully remove foil from sides of cake.
- Place a serving plate upside-down on top of cake. Carefully and quickly invert cake onto serving plate. Cool completely.
- Frost the top of fully cooled cake, then drizzle caramel sauce on top. Sprinkle top with pecans.
Recipe from: quick-dish.tablespoon.com